In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Strong, a Mussul Unsquit village

A Legacy of Woods and Waters

Online Items

Daggett Bros. Store, Strong, ca. 1880

Daggett Bros. Store, Strong, ca. 1880

Item 69489 info
Strong Historical Society

Albert L. Daggett (1827-1916) and his brother, Washington L. Daggett (1835-1910) owned and operated this store from the 1870s until 1908. They sold groceries and provisions.

In 1886 the main portion of the store burned due to overheated oil lamps left burning in the upstairs meeting hall. A bucket brigade from the stream behind the store saved the north end of the building. Much of the stock was also saved and stored in the church across the street.

The store was rebuilt as a single story building and has been operated by several owners. It still serves the town as Beal's General Store.

Item 157 of 166