In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Strong, a Mussul Unsquit village

A Legacy of Woods and Waters

Online Items

Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad station, Strong, ca. 1910

Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad station, Strong, ca. 1910

Item 58173 info
Strong Historical Society

Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes railroad station in Strong around 1910.

From 1879 to 1935 narrow gauge railroad service was available in Strong. Strong became the connecting point of service between Farmington, with its Maine Central line, and all points north. By 1909 all of the small narrow gauge service in Northern Franklin County was consolidated into one system, the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad. S.R.R.L. could then serve passenger and freight customers to Farmington, Strong, Freeman, Salem, Kingfield, Carrabassett and the Dead River region, as well as Phillips, Redington, Madrid and the Rangeley area, all under the same banner.


Item 13 of 166